Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Oil bath!

All my stories so far have been of the playtime and travelling we enjoyed as small kids. But there was the routine life we had as school going children in our home, under the guidance of our parents. Taking oil bath was one routine which is still unforgettable just because it was a very unpleasant experience for us!

After a school week, the weekend was a welcome change from our full day of studies. But one aspect of our weekend routine used to frighten us so much that we hated getting up on Sundays. Saturdays were spent on playing and finishing our homework but Sundays were the days when my mom insisted that we had our oil baths. It is the tradition that girls have their oil baths on Fridays and boys have theirs on Saturdays. Since we had to attend school on Fridays, we girls had to undergo the ordeal of the oil bath on Sundays.

We had to wrap a towel around our bodies and stand in the open under the morning sun. Sesame oil would be poured on our head and our hair would be dripping with oil. When the oil was massaged onto the scalp, my mother would be telling us to take care that no part was left oil-free. She would have an idiomatic phrase for every part; for example, if we left out the bottom half of our head, it would spell doom for the health of our brothers, if the top was left out it would bring on poverty etc., which would prick our conscience enough not to leave any part of our head without oil!

Then came the worst part. Oil would be poured into our eyes, nose and ears amidst shrieks of protest. We had to apply oil on our bodies too. Then we all took turns one by one, to be given baths in hot water prepared and stored in big buckets nearby. The rest of us had to stand in the sun absorbing the light as it was said to be beneficial for our health. My mother and her assistant (maidservant, usually) would perform the rituals every Sunday morning.

First kid in the line had to sit on a low stool. Then the shikakai powder (home made, with many herbal ingredients added) would be made into a paste and massaged onto our head and hair. It was a great feat to escape from the shikakai powder accidentally going into our eyes, though we had to sit with our eyes closed to avoid that! Of course we would like to take a peek at the going-on every now and then! As a result, most of the kids would have reddened eyes at the end of the bathing session. It seemed to take forever to remove every trace of oil from our hair. Once my mother was satisfied she would send the child to the maid to wash off the herbal powder, soap our bodies and pour hot water, finishing our baths, pulling the next kid towards her for her turn.

Once the bath was over, we would be rolled in a towel and asked to bind our hair with an absorbent cotton towel. With eyes smarting and the whole body feeling spent after all the massage, we would dress ourselves and dry our hair in the incense smoke, prepared specially for drying our hair. Then we had to wait in line for the next step.

A mixture of cumin seeds and garlic pods would be crushed with a little salt and made into a drink and we all had to take a little of it to ward off cold and to improve our digestion. This was the last straw and we would be saying ‘yuck’ and trying to run off into various corners of our house to avoid the spicy home made medicine! After our baths, we would be given hot soup by mid morning to help us regain all our lost energy. We would all feel sleepy by the time the ordeal was over!

Oil for bath:

Heat 1/2 cup sesame oil with 6 cloves of garlic. When garlic is brown, take it off the heat. Cool and apply it on scalp when warm, with a small ball of cotton. Cover the whole of scalp and let it soak for half an hour. Wash it off with herbal soapnut powder or with shampoo.

Another oil recipe:

Sesame oil 250 gm

castor oil 100 gm

Neem oil 100 gm.

Mix all together and use for oil bath. This oil helps keep your hair grow thick and dark, without dandruff.

Herbal shampoo powder:

Powder the following finely;

1 kg Shikakai (soap nut)
1/2 kg methi
100 gm whole tur dal 100 gm
100 gm mustard
Use a tbsp mixed with half cup water every time you wash your hair. It is good for even sinusitis patients.
100 gm mustard

12 comments:

Archana said...

Hehehhehe :-)! I could almost visualize the scene - super post! The sleep one gets after an oil bath is something else totally :-)!

Preethi said...

First time here.. very nicely written post.. But do you really mean this?? "Oil would be poured into our eyes, nose and ears amidst shrieks of protest. " .. ouch!!!!

Bharathis said...

Preethi, Thanks and welcome!
Yes, they really used to do that to kids till the modern paediatricians warned against it to the next generation new-age Moms!

Floridora said...

That sounds terrible, but maybe if I experienced it early in life I wouldn't be bald now.

Compassion Unlimitted said...

Hi..a first timer here from Preethis.
Nice writing with the minutest of the details captured.Was there not a traditional SAMBRANI drying after the bath?
But honestly speaking,I felt there was a lot of goodness associated with the oil bath .I also belong to the generation which discontinued the oil bath due advises from allopathy docs,but today I feel its getting revived in the form of ayurvedic massage parlours !!
Seasons greetings and happy pongal
If time permits do drop inmy blog
TC
CU

Bharathis said...

Compassion Unlimited-
Yes, I had forgotten about the sambirani smoke for drying our hair. Thanks for reminding!

Bharathis said...

Sambirani is the Tamil name for the incense I mentioned!

Anita said...

the oil bit works. with all the cold now, forced to apply oil on hair regularly

Prema Devi said...

Hi Prema Bharathi

I Liked reading about the oil baths, I remember as a Child growing up in Malaysia, my mother would also make us have oil baths on Fridays. I still continue the tradition, although I live in Australia now. I always felt the oil kept my hair thicker and darker, with fewer whites/greys in it. You have an excellent command of English and I bet your Tamil is even better.

Thank you and regards

Prema Devi Dumbleton

Bharathis said...

Hi Prema Devi,

Thanks for your compliments:-)
I stopped oiling my hair and oil baths when I got married as my husband hatesoil on anyone's head! But my hair is not greying. I think it is all due to genes. But, yes, maybe it helps with falling hair.

Prema Devi said...

I remember using sambrani as well but now sometimes, if time permits I use lime juice/mung bean paste as well and rub into my scalp, before washing it all off with shampoo. Takes such a long time. Have to wash it off by shampooing it twice otherwise the head reeks of gingelly oil.

Unknown said...

wow... wonderful post. Its reminds me the ordeal we go through on every saturday with my brothers.
We love the weekends except saturday morning. My brothers and friends want to go and play cricket but my dad will not let us go. He warms up the seasame seed oil and wants us to come in a line. No one wants to go first and will delay as much as we can. Atlast things will move fast when our dad spanks any one of us. Those are wonderful days i can think of during my childhood days.
Now I'm into aromatherpy and oil bath and when was searching on how to do oil bath I came across this site.
Thanks a bunch for this great post.